Thursday, October 29, 2015

Truth Hurts

     Here we are again...talking about weed. The funny thing is, is that we weren't really talking about weed. We were making a list of our class room objectives. I was telling the kids, showing them actually, by letting them chart it out, how, in everything we study, all the research tells us that the more we read the smarter we become.
     And so we began talking about books. I related the book challenge I entered on Goodreads at the beginning of the year, to read 24 books. I told the kids I am now in the 30's; surpassing my challenge goal. And the year isn't over yet. I was trying to make the point that a book can be a form of escapism: the easiest, and safest type of drug you can get.
Wait for it...
     A kid from the second row: "Marijuana makes you smarter."
     Me: "And how do you know that?"
     Him, acting the smart ass role: " I know because I'm a marijuanaologist."
     Me:"Really..."
     Him: "Yeah, ask me anything."
     Me, walking over to stand by him, "OK...so...you think smoking grass makes you smarter?"
     Him: "yeah."
     Me: "What grade do you have in this class?"
     Him proudly, "F."
I just smiled and walked away, while the rest of the class laughed.
Obviously he's studying hard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment