Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Welcome!

     It is two weeks until the beginning of a new school year. I teach English at Santa Maria High School on the Central Coast of California. I started teaching in 2007, at the age of 51. I had many other jobs before I took my 46 year old brain back to school, got my BA in English from the University of Maryland University College and my Single Subject teaching credential from Chapman University in California. I had wanted to be a teacher as long as I could remember, but life has a way of getting in the way. And so I was quite old when I came into this profession.
     When I tell people what I do for a living I get one of two responses. The first one goes something like, "Wow, that's great. We really need dedicated teachers!" The second, and universally more popular response, is, "What? Are you crazy? I would never want to be around that many teenagers! Never!"
     But I truly believe that teenagers are the best people in the world. They are funny and smart and opinionated. They are becoming aware of their individual talents and are passionate about them, whether that talent is art or music or soccer or any of the other thousands of pastimes they fill their days with. They can be the best, loyal, true friends and the worst, ugly, meanest enemies to each other. They are tolerant, creative, sleepy, hyper-active, talkative, quiet, studious and sometimes even the best of them succumb to the choice to fail.
      I know there are many people out in the world that do not teach. Many think we have a cushy profession (look ma: no weekends, no summers, no nights, a 185 day work year.)
     I am beginning this blog in the hopes of sharing my year as a high school teacher. For those of you that teach, I hope you find this blog to be true and entertaining. I also hope that the people who do not teach will find this blog enlightening and...entertaining also. I want to give you a daily look into the real world of high school from a teacher's perspective. The stories and comments you will read will be true, good or bad.
     In the next two weeks I will write about the yearly prep I, and other teachers go through. We really don't get the whole summer off, by the way.
     I hope you will join me in this journey. It always is an interesting year!
   
     

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about your students. They always sound so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete